Over the weekend my mom visited to help me in making my very first dress! Out of the array of vintage patterns I’ve been collecting, I selected what I thought to be the easiest to make – albeit not my favorite – Butterick 3992, a wonderful 1960s number that required only 4 pieces to make!
After getting the hang of the machine, which I had nearly no luck on my own after I got the machine, and doing some practice runs on scraps of fabric, we were ready to go! I didn’t make too many mistakes, and the zipper wasn’t as big of a hassle as I thought it would be. The afternoon turned to evening, and the dress was nearly done. I finished up the hem yesterday and it was done!
While it’s not perfect – the armpits are kind of off, and the hem isn’t too great – I’m still really quite proud of it! I have another pattern that is similar that I may make to continue to get the hang of this before I take a crack of some 1940s or 50s patterns.