Okay, seriously, this blog post is long over due… But better a little late than never, eh? Just prior to leaving for California (the December visit that is, this post isn’t that late!) I was awarded the Liebster Blog Award from fellow vintage blogger Hannah of Just Peachy, Darling.
If you’re unfamiliar with the award, it is a “pay-it-forward” type of award in which the person awarded it passes it along to five other blogs. It’s a way of discovering new blogs and sharing the love. Part of the award is also learning new things about bloggers in the form of a small Q & A. Bloggers answer questions that were given to them from the blogger who gave them the award, and when the blogger writes about the award they choose new questions for the bloggers they are giving the award to. Here are the questions I was asked from Hannah…
1. What is your favorite clothing era?
The 1940s. So much creativity went into the clothing. And who doesn’t love a good femme fatale look?
2. If you could be any vintage starlet, who would you be?
Oh, good one! Well, I love Veronica Lake, but Rita Hayworth was pretty damn gorgeous, so let’s go with her.
3. What’s the biggest vintage clothing splurge you’ve made?
I think that would have to be my dear fox stole, Algernon. And he was somewhere of $75 to $100. I forgot. I tend not to spend a whole lot on vintage because at a certain price point I quit seeing the item and just see like a dress made of money and I am fearful of wearing it!
4. What’s your best kept secret for finding deals on vintage?
Well, I don’t think I have any with regards to where I shop. Most places are known about. I think mine would be being polite as possible, but without turning into a doormat, especially at an antique show. Showing interest in items can be tricky depending on the dealer. Some dealers may not wheel-and-deal if you show too much interest because they know you want it, and therefore may pay anything. However other dealers will admire your interest, and give you a good price because they know their item is going to a good home. But be polite and gracious in shops and at shows and avoid any snootiness, even if you are treated poorly. Dealers and shop owners often remember the very polite and kind just as often as they remember the rude and frightening.
5. Do your friends and family wear vintage?
Loads of my friends do. As for my family, my dad and brother wear vintage Hawaiian shirts and western wear from time to time. And my sister has a few vintage dresses she wears for special occasions.
6. In what way does your home reflect your vintage style?
Lots of ways! Most of our furniture and decor are vintage.
7. What’s the best show on television?
Currently on air? I would have to say Downton Abbey or Boardwalk Empire. But of all time? I Love Lucy. However my favorite show is a tie between The Adventures of Brisco County Jr., Batman (circa 1960s), and Zorro (c.1950s).
8. What was the best vacation you’ve taken?
I think our honeymoon to Disneyland. Very few people and lots of special treatment.
9. Do you have any hair and makeup tips?
Practice, practice, practice! And take a class if you can! When I first started I was so frustrated with hair. And if often resulted in me throwing things. I took a class and a lot of things got cleared up for me. It was nice to see how to manipulate hair in person, and talk with other people about it. If you are unable to take a class, look on YouTube!
10. What’s your favorite accessory?
Oh gosh! That’s a super tough one…my favorite winter accessory is a muff, and I have multiple muffs. My favorite hair accessory is a snood, and I have several of those as well. And I do love a good brooch! Especially if it’s western or Mexican themed or a piece of sweetheart jewelry and I have loads of those. It’s so hard to pick an absolute favorite! Oh, I just can’t decide!
11. Do you have a goal for the new year?
To be more fabulous! Which is multidimensional. A combination of dressing up, being gracious and loads of other virtues.
And now…the award goes to…
Bonita of Depict This – who has wonderful outfits and loads of inspiration.
My friend, and new blogger, Sara of Lilies & Remains – who has stellar style!
Riikka of Harlean’s Heyday – whose pictures are absolutely magazine worthy!
Porcelina’s World offers up delightful inspiration and links for the vintage lover.
Retro Fashion is My Passion has quickly become one of my favorite blogs! This gal’s wardrobe is marvelous!
For those of you who I have selected, feel free to participate by following the rules below…
Write a blog post about the award. There are multiple images you can use floating around the web if you would like to use an image. Then award five other bloggers, preferably ones that have less than 200 followers. The point of the award is to introduce blogs to more people. Then answer my 11 questions and give your own 11 for the bloggers you award.
Here are mine! There are a few that make sense, but I threw in a few fun ones…
1. What is your favorite film for fashion inspiration?
2. What is your favorite flavor of ice cream?
3. Where is your favorite place to shop? Brick-and-mortar or on-line.
4. Is there a person who got you started dressing vintage? If so, who?
5. What do you enjoy the most about blogging?
6. Where do you want to travel to the most?
7. What is your favorite book?
8. What is your favorite lip stick? If you don’t wear lip stick, how about your favorite lip product?
9. What do you do when you’ve had a bad day?
10. Is there a vintage-themed event you look forward to all year? If so, what?
11. Do you enjoy meeting fellow bloggers in person?