Awhile ago I blogged about a blouse I made with a sombrero print, and mentioned that the fabric had come in other color schemes, and bought another scheme for a dress. Well, boy am I glad I bought the fabric when I did, because now all of the fabric is gone! Not cool, I know. But here is what I made…
This dress really stressed how much of a novice seamstress I still am. Some of you are aware of my difficulty with/fear of side zippers, and this pattern originally called for a side zipper (or slide fastener as they were called back then) so I changed the pattern slightly to accommodate a back zipper. Additionally, I decided to added to the bodice length, since I have a lower than average waist, and more often than not end up with garments both from patterns and ready-made with waists above mine. I held up the pattern piece to my body, and thought an inch would do it. But an inch turned out to be just a little too much for this pattern. This was also the first dress I made that featured pockets, and the instructions had me quite perplexed. Eventually I figured it out…whether or not it was the right way or not, I don’t know. But the point is, they are in there!
Up next on the sewing table is an outfit I’m making for a friend’s 20s themed housewarming party. I’m making what is really a costume from a film, because it is an outfit I’ve been dying to own since I saw it way back in 1999, I figured it’s a good time to make it! It may appear pretty similar to something you all have already recently seen, but whatever! That’s okay! The party is this Saturday so I better get back to sewing! After this project, I’ll be taking a bit of a sewing break and refocus my energy on my much neglected Etsy shop.
Dress: Made by me, using Simplicity 2074 from my grandmother’s collection.
Copper Earrings and Bracelet: Brownsville Antique Fair, Brownsville, Oregon
Copper Belt: Buffalo Exchange, Portland, Oregon
Shoes: Wanderlust, Portland, Oregon